Monday, August 30, 2010

Quality VS. Price - Which should win?

I was doing my motherly duty last week and took my girls school shoe shopping.  My premise has always been, buy quality, well-made shoes for a growing foot - no matter what the price.   My preferred store of choice has always been Stride Rite.  They specialize in one genre of the shoe market creating a solid reputation among parents around the globe. 

My conviction to buying quality shoes has been challenged this year by my eldest daughter (age 8) who has a shoe fettish that rivals Imelda Marcos'!  While the ever popular ballet flats are trendy and stylish, there is nothing notable to say about cushioning the abuse our feet succomb to on a daily basis.

With determination, my daughters and I entered a discount retail store.  Rolling up my sleeves and taking a deep breath we entered the abyss of the children's shoe section.  Like a flash of lighting my eldest daughter's shoes were strewn across the aisle and box after box was pulled off the shelf and opened, tried on and discarded.  Then it happened - that was it - the one pair - T-H-E pair of ballet flats!  Black patened leather, with a petite bow on the toe.  I do admit they are cute - but for only $10, how long with they last and will they give her blisters?  The begging began, the pleading eyes flashed, the justification about how well they fit...  What to do????

Many small businesses go through the same dilemma.  They don't have the resources for or don't necessarily need an IT person in-house, so the hunt begins to outsource their IT.  The first notion is to go by "price."  While price is a huge factor, it is not and should not be the only deciding factor when selecting an IT company.  Like quality shoes, you need to look at the "brand" behind the shoes.  In this case, does the IT company have a strong and credible reputation?  Are they known for providing cutting-edge products and services?  Will they save you money in-the-long run?  I say it this way because sometimes you need to spend money to reap the benefits later.  Does the IT company make an effort to get to know you and your entire business including your staff?  Can you envision working with this company for a long time?

If you answered yes to the above questions then you truly value quality service over the cheapest option.  Hey - we have something in common!  I feel the same way.  You work hard to grow your business.  You do not deserve to have a company come in and half-heartedly work on your IT infrastructure.  You need a company who is experienced and willing to work with you and share your growth.

A good, solid pair of shoes will stave off dreaded blisters and painful bunyons.  A quality IT company will help you grow your business.  Did my daughter win the battle?  Well - yes and no.  I agreed to buy the shoes, which by-the-way are already fraying and we just started school, if she agreed to get her sneakers and subsequent pairs of school shoes at Stride Rite!

I maintain my stance on quality shoes and IT companies...

1 comment: